The Finnish Centre for Easy Language (Selkokeskus) promotes communication, information and culture in Easy Finnish. Our goal is to enhance the status of Easy Finnish and the language rights of its users in Finland. We offer instruction and guidance to anyone interested in Easy Finnish. We are part of the Finnish Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, which is funded by the Finnish Ministry of Social Affairs and Health with proceeds from Veikkaus (national betting agency).
The Finnish Centre for Easy Language
- makes announcements regarding Easy Finnish and easy-to-read literature
- publishes Selkosanomat, the Easy Language current affairs newspapers, in Finnish and its Swedish-language affiliate, Lätta bladet
- grants the SELKO symbol to Easy Finnish publications
- organizes training in Easy Finnish
- organises activities of the Advisory Committee for Easy Language
- develops Easy Finnish and advances research on accessible communication
- serves as a channel for collaboration and dissemination of information in the field.
Apart from our own staff, we have trained a number of experts in Easy Finnish throughout Finland. The experts specialize in different areas of knowledge in the field of Easy Finnish. Many of them adapt standard language texts to Easy Language or offer training in Easy Language. The group includes, for example, teachers, journalists, researchers and authors who write in Easy Language.